The biggest regret I have thus far in my life is not taking better care. Care of my Health, care of my Relationships, and taking care to remember successes/failures to learn better from them.
2013 was for rebuilding.
I sold everything I owned and went to a programming school. Entirely switching careers and i’d say it was a pretty successful adventure. I spent the first 3 months without alcohol, juicing and coding.
2014 was for stabilizing.
I kept pushing my professional life and decided to head to SF for a real career boost. It was a little rocky at the end but could have been much worse.
2015 was for health.
I started working for my brother’s company which didn’t really feel like home. After a few months I found a dream come true with Instacart. It wasn’t until after getting hired and settling in that I stopped ignoring some Issues. Its pretty clear that deciding to take care of myself was necessary
It was basically a slow shift away from 100% focus on my career towards a healthy relationship.
My girlfriend has been the best thing that happened to me in 2015 without a doubt. I’m keeping her around as long as possible.
Here’s my 2016 list:
- Be More generous. Offer help to friends/family however I can
- Blog more about random tech stuff. Submit it to hacker news and jsweeky and rubyweekly! It will help you remember more things. Everytime you google something you’ve already done just write it down in a blog post. Have someone keeping you accountable for this.
- Follow 100:10:1 rule. Blog about 10(1 post every 1.2 months is cake!). Ship 1!
- Talk to old friends more. its much easier to keep your old good friends than make new ones. Make a list of 50 people you miss. cut it down to between 15 - 20. When you have a list, start calling, one person a week.
- Talk to family(grandma, mom/dad, brothers) more.
- Spend more time with girlfriend. Take stupid love quizzes. talk to her. make her laugh. Be.
- Workout/Yoga/Spin/Something. At least 3 days a week
- Get the damn tooth implant i’ve been dreading for 5+ years
- Visit counselor/therapist. first you can find a good one, then go chat about life.
- Go to sleep before midnight
- Meditate 10 minutes a day (probably on calm.com)
- Drink less. Keep track of drinks, find an app that will tell you how many beers/wine/etc you’ve consumed each week. play golf and shoot for none. Have more time for everything else!